As we learn more about the importance of using earth friendly products and practices in our daily lives we find that most of our behaviors have some form
of impact on the environment we live in.
For example, cosmetics and personal care items are often not very earth friendly when it comes to the chemicals used to create the product, the packaging and disposal options.
Fortunately, there are alternatives
to such products that work just as
well while minimizing their environmental impact.
- Become more aware – Most of us are creatures of habit and simply don’t welcome any type of change in our routines and habits. Do a little research on the products you’re using and the alternatives. A convenient starting point might be the Cosmetic Safety database at www.cosmeticsdtabase.com
- Check the ingredients – As with many other products on the market today you are likely to find that some of your favorite cosmetics use petroleum, petroleum based derivatives, or other toxins used to enhance their appeal. Better options are those that are natural and made from sustainable resources such as minerals and bees wax. For example, Cedar Rapid-based Eco Lips makes an organic lip balm product
- Packaging – A good majority of cosmetic items come in small packages but number in the millions worldwide. Check the packaging and recycling options on the item.
- Reduce your usage – Sometimes less is better. As with anything else in our consumer-filled lives there are opportunities for consolidating and minimizing our usage.
- Make your own – People are doing it with good results and not just hard core tree huggers. Search the web for terms like “Make your own cosmetics.”