CEDAR RAPIDS — Orchestra Iowa’s 2012-2013 season will celebrate its return to the Paramount Theatre, debut the world-premiere of Michael Daugherty’s American Gothic, and embark on important artistic partnerships with three major institutions.
Orchestra Iowa’s 91st season includes masterworks of the symphonic, operatic and ballet repertoire as it teams up with Ballet Quad Cities and the Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre to form the Paramount’s Fine Arts Series.
Read a review of the recent St. John's Passion concert.
Following a four-year, $35 million dollar restoration, Orchestra Iowa makes its triumphant returns to the Paramount Theatre for a homecoming performance featuring Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, Richard Strauss’ Der Rosenkavalier Suite, Gunther Schullers’ Seven Studies on Themes of Paul Klee, and Iowa’s own Jerry Owen’s Glee.
Fourteen performances of eight productions will be performed at the Paramount Theatre during Orchestra Iowa’s grand reopening season.
Subscription renewals for the 2012-13 season are currently under way. Beginning April 30, season subscriptions will be available to the general public for purchase online at www.orchestraiowa.org or by calling (319) 366-8203. Tickets also will be available through the Orchestra Iowa Ticket Office, 119 Third Avenue SE. Season ticket package options range from $39 to $329.
The 2012-13 season schedule:
- Brucemorchestra! — Sept. 9, on the lawn at Brucemore in Cedar Rapids
- Homecoming — Nov. 10 at Paramount Theatre in Cedar Rapids and Nov. 11 at West High School in Iowa City
- The Nutcracker, featuring Ballet Quad Cities — Dec. 1 and 2 at the Paramount Theatre in Cedar Rapids
- La Boheme presented by The Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre — Jan. 18, 2013 and Jan. 20, 2013, at the Paramount Theatre in Cedar Rapids
- Star-Crossed Lovers — Feb. 9, 2013 at Paramount Theatre in Cedar Rapids; Feb. 10, 2013, at West High School in Iowa City
- Brahms’ Third — March 9, 2013 at Paramount Theatre in Cedar Rapids; and March 10, 2013 at West High School in Iowa City.
- Cinderella featuring Ballet Quad Cities — April 13 and 14 at Paramount Theatre in Cedar Rapids
- American Gothic — May 4, 2013, at the Paramount Theatre in Cedar Rapids; and May 5, 2013, at West High School in Iowa City
Patriotic Pops — July 1 at Kirkwood Community College Campus
Holiday Spectacular — Dec. 15 and 16 at the Paramount Theatre in Cedar Rapids
Opus Chamber Series — Sept. 21 to 23; Oct. 12 to 14; Jan. 11 to 13, 2013; April 5 to 7, 2013. (Friday and Saturday performances are at the Opus Concert Café and Sunday performances are at the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts)