Start practicing your oohs and aahs because there’s plenty of parades, fireworks and patriotism planned around Eastern Iowa through the Fourth of July.
Find your favorite good old fashioned small-town celebration or one of the area’s big-time festivals in metro areas in this list of events:
- Duffy’s Freedom Festival Car Show, 10 a.m. today, Duffy’s Collectible Cars, 1195 Boyson Rd., Hiawatha.
- Asbury UMC Fun Days, 11:30 a.m. today, Asbury United Methodist Church, 350 27th Ave. SW, Cedar Rapids. Inflatables, antique cars, dunk tank, indoor kids carnival games, clowns and face painting, race cars, fire trucks. Free hamburgers, hot dogs, brats, popcorn and pop.
- 7 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Five Seasons Ski Team; Ellis Harbor, 2550 Ellis Blvd. Free.
- 5 to 10 p.m. Tuesday, Cedar Boat Club Fireworks at dusk, Ellis Harbor, 2550 Ellis Blvd. Free.
Freedom Festival – more info
- CVRA 5th Season Races, 7 a.m. to noon Wednesday, near Chrome Horse Saloon, 1202 Third St. SE, followed by Kids’ Parade, same place
- Grand Ol’ Pancake Breakfast, 8 to 11 a.m. Wednesday, Veterans Memorial Stadium, 950 Rockford Rd. SW
- Five Seasons Ski Show, 7 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Cedar River at Ellis Park, 2021 Ellis Blvd. NW
- Cedar Rapids Municipal Band, 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, 200 block of First Street SW
- Fireworks, 9:30 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, May’s Island.
All-American Fourth of July Picnic, 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, American Legion Post No. 17, 3016 Muscatine Ave., Iowa City. Fundraising picnic with brats, hot dogs, burgers, and grilled chicken breast, including all the trimmings. Funds will be used to support programs for veterans. Cost: $8 for adults, $5 for children under 12.
- Coralville 4thFEST 2012: S.T. Morrison Park, 1500 block between Seventh and Eighth streets, Coralville.
- Tuesday: 2 p.m. concessions, 3 p.m. Carnival, 6:30 p.m. Chad Elliot concert, 8 p.m. Lonestar concert, free.
- Wednesday: 7 to 10 a.m. Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast at Northwest Junior High School; 10 a.m. Parade; noon to dark food vendors, 1 p.m. bingo, 3 p.m. games and demonstrations, 8:30 p.m. Iowa City Community Band concert, fireworks show at dusk.
- Free Fourth of July BBQ at the Big White House, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, Big White House, 1246 12th Ave. Coralville. Live music by Kevin “B.F.” Burt, yard games, free raffle and tours of the 102-year-old house that Genesis Church renovated and uses as a home for the church and the community (BigWhiteHouse.org).
ANAMOSA — Anamosa Rotary Fireworks, dusk Wednesday, Anamosa High School Football Field.
BELLE PLAINE — Sesquicentennial Celebration. Sunday: 7:30 to 11 a.m. Fly-in Breakfast, All-School Reunion, Waterball Fights, Old Time Variety Show. Monday: Guided tours. Tuesday: 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. live music, Laser Light Show. Wednesday: 8 a.m. 5K Walk/Run, 10 a.m. parade, food/midway, fireworks.
BELLEVUE — Heritage Days Celebration, today and Sunday; Sunday: 10:30 a.m., parade, food stands, kids activities; 1 to 7 p.m., live music, beer garden; 8 p.m. Ski Bellevue Show; Fireworks at dusk.
CRESCO — Motokazie and Fireworks Celebration, 5 p.m. Tuesday, Howard County Fairgrounds, 314 W. Seventh St., Cresco. Gates at 5 p.m., practice at 6 p.m. and racing at 7 p.m. Fireworks follow.
DUBUQUE — Annual Mathias Ham House Ice Cream Social, 2241 Lincoln Ave., Wednesday. Music by the Fever River String Band, food, tours of the mansion and historic kids games. Free. (563) 557-9545, Rivermuseum.com
DUBUQUE — Tuesday, fireworks, A.Y. McDonald Park, at dusk.
DYERSVILLE — Independence Day Celebration, Tuesday, food, music, games; fireworks display at dusk at Dyersville Commercial Club Park.
DYSART — Tuesday: 6 p.m. kiddie parade; 8 p.m. dance., Wednesday: 8 a.m. 5K run/walk; 9 a.m. kickball tournament; 10:30 a.m. parade; 2 p.m. kiddie tractor pull; 5 p.m. talent show; 8 p.m. egg toss; fireworks at dusk.
ELY — Monday, 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Fireman Breakfast at the fire station.
HILLS — Tuesday at Hill City Park: 6 p.m. kiddie tractor pull, carnival rides, 9 p.m. dance. Wednesday: carnival rides, softball tournament, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. kids game, 1 p.m. horse shoes; 5:30 p.m. parade; fireworks at dusk.
INDEPENDENCE — Tuesday: 2:30 p.m. car show, 4 p.m. Celebration at Riverwalk, 4:30 p.m. Magnetos concerts, 5 p.m. Poker Walk, 6:30 p.m. live music; Wednesday: 9 a.m. parade; 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. fun zone, 11:20 a.m. reading of the Declaration of Independence, 11:30 a.m. volleyball tournament, 1 p.m. Wapsi Warrior Challenge, 4 p.m. live music, 10 p.m. fireworks
KALONA — Shiloh “American Dreams,” 4 to 10 p.m. Tuesday, 100 Shiloh Dr. Live music at 7 p.m., followed by fireworks at 9:15 p.m. Picnic baskets are welcome. Free, $5 for parking.
MARENGO — Tuesday: 7 to 10 a.m., pancake breakfast, Lafayette Street; 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. car show; noon to 3 p.m. free swimming; 3 p.m. beer garden; 6 p.m. parade; 9 p.m. street dance.
MARQUETTE/MCGREGOR — Independence Day Weekend in Marquette/McGregor. Flea market, Friday through July 8, under the bridge in Marquette. Parade in the morning and the Riverfront fireworks display in Marquette at dusk on July 7.
MECHANICSVILLE — 2 to 6 p.m. activities including games, sand volleyball, pedal tractor pull at CRUSE Park. Starting at 6 p.m. dunk tank, bean bag tournament, food at North Cedar Elementary School, 609 125th St. Fireworks at dusk.
MONTICELLO — Wednesday: 6:30 to 10:30 a.m., breakfast at the Berndes Center; 11 a.m., parade. (319) 465-5626, www.macc-ia.us
MOUNT VERNON — Lincoln Highway Antiques Extravaganza, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Main Street. Visitmvl.com
OELWEIN — Oelwein Celebration. Today: 8 a.m. Firecracker 5K run/walk; 10:30 a.m. parade and events at Oelwein City Park. Free.
OXFORD — Wednesday: 3 p.m. parade; kids games, bag toss, dunk tank and live music following; fireworks at dusk.
TIPTON — Wednesday: 7 to 9 a.m. pancake breakfast, St. Mary’s; 10:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. downtown and City Park. 2 p.m. parade; After the parade, pony rides, a petting zoo, food vendors in City Park. Fireworks at City Park at dusk.
TROY MILLS — 10 a.m. Wednesday parade.
WILLIAMSBURG — Williamsburg’s Freedom Celebration, Wednesday, Williamsburg downtown park at Court and State streets. Williamsburgiowa.org; Wednesday: 7 to 11 a.m. Kiwanis Pancake Breakfast at Fire Station; 4 p.m. parade.